We are a small but growing team here at Outdoors Empowered Network. And we're growing by one at the moment:
Please check out our Director of Development and Communications position! Download PDF
Development and Communications Director
75% - 80% time (30-32 hours a week)
Start Date: mid-July
The Outdoors Empowered Network is hiring a vital team member to help grow and sustain its fundraising efforts by positioning the organization as a cause of choice for individuals, foundations and corporations committed to connecting youth to nature. The Development and Communications Director will be responsible for:
- Taking the lead on fundraising strategy and execution, including leveraging the time and talent of the organization’s founder and board.
- Reaching annual fundraising goals from individuals, foundations and corporations through in-person solicitations, grant writing and mail/email campaigns.
- Researching new opportunities and developing reports for tracking and reporting on fundraising progress.
- Developing and distributing communications that promote organizational visibility and support fundraising efforts including solicitations, newsletters, brochures and website content.
- Improving and maintaining organizational systems for entering and tracking gifts, stewarding donors and maximizing communication efforts.
- Attending conferences and/or coordinating events that further relationships with partners and potential donors.
This position is a great opportunity for someone interested in growing an organization with a national reach and who appreciates the value of an exciting, innovative and ambitious mission. The Development Director must be comfortable performing day-to-day tasks such as gift entry and acknowledgement while remaining focused on high-level donor cultivation and solicitation strategy.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
We are looking for someone with 3-5 years of direct fundraising experience, preferably in outdoor or environmental education, who can draw from best-practices while remaining flexible and creative. The ideal candidate will enjoy partnering with others on fundraising strategy but will also be able to work independently. They will be skillful at building relationships both internally and externally.
- A minimum of 3 years fundraising experience with a track record of reaching financial goals either individually or as a team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated tech savvy and comfort working with content management systems and relational databases. Salesforce and mailchimp experience desirable.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to manage up and relate to a variety of audiences.
- A team player who is also highly competent working with little supervision.
- Goal oriented with outstanding attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Government grant experience is a plus.
The candidate must be willing to work some nights and weekends and should be comfortable with a flexible work environment. Outdoors Empowered Network is based in San Francisco. A minimum of two days a week telecommuting is required.
WHO WE ARE, WHAT WE DO:
Outdoors Empowered Network believes every child deserves access to nature and the benefits of time spent in wilderness.
We are a start-up nonprofit that is growing a national network of regional organizations and programs that connect youth to the outdoors. As a backbone organization, Outdoors Empowered Network supports its affiliate members to implement and expand a proven “train the trainer” model in which adults already working with youth in their communities learn to lead safe and rewarding wilderness adventures. Our affiliates are deeply committed to reaching educators and young people from under resourced communities. In addition, the model includes the creation of gear libraries to provide trained adults access to FREE equipment for keeping youth they get outdoors safe, warm and comfortable.
Outdoors Empowered Network plans to train and equip approximately 2,500 educators this year who will then provide opportunities for 10,000 youth to get outdoors in 2015! Are you interested in helping us connect more youth with nature?
To Apply: email cover letter with resume to:
Application: Vacant until filled.
Outdoors Empowered Network is committed to diversity and practicing equal opportunity in recruitment and hiring. Qualified candidates of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Compensation: Competitive, DOE, Excellent benefits.